UPDATE: Aug 13, 2016
FROM: Telesur article “Is Justice Close for 300,000 Victims of Forced Sterilization in Peru?” July 19, 2016
Some 300,000 mostly poor, Indigenous, rural women were forcibly sterilized between 1995 and 2000 under Alberto Fujimori’s dictatorship…
… Mass protests against Keiko Fujimori during her presidential campaign earlier this year highlighted her ties to her father’s brutal dictatorship. Women on the front lines of the anti-Fujimori marches repeatedly recalled the legacy of forced sterilizations, demanding justice under the banner “Fujimori Never Again.”
#NiUnaMenos = Spanish: Nobody Less, i.e., Inferior
- in Toronto: https://www.facebook.com/NiUnaMenosToronto/
- in Peru: https://www.facebook.com/PeruNiUnaMenos
FROM: GDei Learning Community
DATE: Aug 8, 2016
#NiUnaMenos Toronto, in solidarity with the Peruvian national rally “#NiUnaMenos” (Not one less) is organizing a demonstration against gender violence in Peru, as well as in Canada, on August 13th at 1pm at Dundas Square in Downtown Toronto.
#NiUnaMenos is a movement created in Argentina in 2015 which has been replicated by women in Spain, Mexico, Chile and now Peru. Thousands of Peruvian women in more than 60 cities around the world are organizing and rising up in response to the lack of justice and the silence around physical, sexual and psychological violence. These women are united by their outrage towards the inefficiency of the Peruvian justice system to protect them and their rejection of society’s silence towards and complicity in these cases.
Peru by the numbers:
• Official statistics show that 7 out of 10 women suffer domestic violence (ENDES, 2013). The judicial system often frees the aggressors in the face of evidence presented.
• 90% of rapes target girls and teenagers between 1 to 17 years old (MIMP, 2015). 49% of these rapes happen inside the family (CEM, 2015).
• The case of 2, 074 sterilized women without their consent– linked to the 300,000 women sterilized without their consent by the dictatorial government of Alberto Fujimori – has been closed yet again by the Peruvian Judicial System.
#NiUnaMenos: If you touch one, you touch us all!
#NiUnaMenos – Toronto, Canada